Thursday, April 10, 2008

Around Hyde Park

Well all is normal and right with the world now that Phil is back. He was away in Singapore for a few days. (What...I'm going to announce that I'm all alone in the apartment, nee on the continent of Australia for any local crazies to read and get any ideas?) Seriously, our building is like Fort Knox to get into so I felt plenty safe, but still...I have blogged previously about my imagination. Enough said.
After meeting Phil for lunch, I wandered off in a new direction of Sydney. I walked down Macquarie St. towards Hyde Park, "a welcome haven of greenery in the heart of the city." (Of course I'm copying my handy guide book. ) It was created in 1810 and has a couple of cool features. Pictured below is the Archibald Fountain. It commemorates the alliance of Australia and France during World War I.

Directly behind the fountain is this cool walkway that leads to the Anzac War Memorial. Have you ever been in a park where the trees form this sort of canopy feeling? Like you're in a cathedral made of trees? Take a look.


The Anzac War Memorial which was built in 1934 (hence the art deco style) commemorates the lives of all Australians who have died for their country. Anzac stands for (I think) Australia and New Zealand Army Corps. Coming up on April 25th is Anzac Day which is a national holiday and sounds like it's like our Memorial Day. Inside the memorial was a room that had a bunch of displays from World War I up through the current Iraq war. And because I was there by myself, I could fully enjoy reading each and every plaque and sign which I love to do in any museum about history without the impatient foot tapping of Phil. Nice.


Finally, here's a picture of St. Mary's Cathedral which is just on the edge of Hyde Park. It's Australia's first Catholic church that had begun building in 1821 and opened in 1882. If you can see the count down clock in front of it (I think it says 97 days) that is how many days remain until the Pope comes to Australia for World Youth Day. They've already begun to talk about road closures and such. Joy.

2 comments:

c&v said...

Man, Sidney looks like such a beautiful city! I love reading your posts and seeing pictures. Have fun exploring more:)

Sandra said...

Thanks! It is a beautiful city. Have fun in Kansas this weekend.