Thursday, April 24, 2008

Breaking Records, Working Girl, and Anzac Day

Well...I read in the paper today that Sydney has broken a 15 year old record...we have now had 12 straight days of rain. More impressively, it's been 77 years since Sydney has experienced 12 consecutive rainy days in April. Joy. Drought, indeed.
Sorry about the non-existent posts but I've been busy at my quasi-job. That's right. Phil got me a very part-time job at his office working the front desk when the regular girl is out. I worked one day last week and yesterday and today. Yes, DAGS...that beloved answering-the-phone job. Never thought I'd volunteer for it. I feel like a dork when I can't find the right employee on the phone ext. list or at times can't understand the Australian accent over the phone, but who's going to fire the boss's wife? :)
Tomorrow is Anzac Day, a national holiday here in Australia. It commemorates April 25, 1915 when the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (Anzacs) landed on the Gallipoli peninsula in Turkey during WWI. They fought there for 8 months and had 25,000 casualities. Every year they start the day with memorial services at dawn. Or earlier. Since the soldiers (or diggers as they're called here) landed at 4:28 am most cities and towns across the country have early services. The one here in Sydney begins at 4:00 am. Yikes...I don't think we'll make it. But we are going to try and go to the parade later in the morning.
Tomorrow night we fly up to Cairns for a long weekend. We'll explore the rainforest on Saturday, get on the boat which will take us to the dive boat on Sunday morning and spend a few days snorkeling and diving the Barrier Reef. Who am I kidding...I'll probably spend most of my time on the deck with a good book or three, but I will snorkel some and maybe try scuba diving. I'll post some pictures when we get back.

1 comment:

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

When you get back, you should go back into teaching--Australian history! Yeah, your job sounds pretty secure despite the learning curve. Have fun on the boat!