Thursday, April 17, 2008

Darling Harbour, The Real World Sydney House and the Powerhouse Museum

After meeting Phil for lunch I decided to walk down to Darling Harbour. I had a mission from our last trip home from my friend, Faith to find the The Real World Sydney house. (Don't worry, Gregg, my mission of finding you kangaroo-skin soccer shoes is next.) So Faith...here it is.



Darling Harbour is an area of Sydney that is a popular place to walk around because it has lots of shops, clubs, restaurants, parks and museums. Phil and I had walked down here last weekend and went to the Imax Theater to see U2 in 3D. (not huge fans of U2 but it was impressive to see and hear Bono on a 8 story movie screen.) There's a big kids' play area here as well. Below is a picture of the paddleboat pond and the bungee trampoline. Looks fun.

As I walked further I passed the Chinese Garden of Friendship. This was built in 1988 as a gift from the city of Guangdong. The two carved dragons represent the sister cities of Guangdong and Sydney. (Of course, the guidebook.)

All of the walking led me to the Powerhouse Museum. I had read (yes, the guidebook) that it was Sydney's most popular museum. Well....it was okay. Kind of reminded me of the Franklin Institute back in Philly but not as interesting. The exhibit that I did like, though, and the real reason I went was the traveling exhibit on Diana, Princess of Wales. Now that was cool! I saw all kinds of personal effects, lots of dresses/gowns, home movies, funeral condolence (not sure of that spelling) books and I was this close...this close to her wedding dress with the 25 foot train spread out! (Well...it was behind glass, but still.) One of the signs in that room said that over 1 billion people watched the wedding on tv. (Including yours truly with my mom and sister.) Ah...good times.

Oops...I forgot to add the pictures of Darling Harbour so here they are.




2 comments:

Faith said...

Thanks Sandra. You're a true friend.

Bob and Claire said...

Oooh, I would have gone to the traveling exhibit on Diana as well. I remember watching the wedding too--we were stationed in Okinawa at the time (and we didn't have a TV), so we went over to a friend in the squadron's house in the middle of the night I think. The time difference was really screwy. I remember being very impressed with how long that train was!

Also, good job on the driving! My mom always says how hard it was to learn to drive on the left when we were in Okinawa. I'm not sorry I never had to do that! : )