Saturday, November 15, 2008

You Are Not Going to Believe What I Did In Singapore...

We've been here in Singapore since Wednesday night. Not much time on the computer since I can only get on when Phil comes back to the hotel after work, but I needed to blog about what the trip's been like so far. So what did I do?

Am I talking about looking at the um, unique Christmas decorations that are going up all around town. Nope...but they are unique. Very colorful and apparently the theme this year on the big shopping road- Orchard Road, is candy. Picture street lights with purple and white candy canes on them, red hearts hanging everywhere (with a bit of Hitachi advertising on them), big baby blue ribbons tied on the street lights, wrapped "candy" hanging from trees, giant cupcakes on the side of the street, and just in tonight...huge Precious Moments figures that have appeared around the Fountain of Wealth which we can see from our hotel window. An eclectic collection indeed.

Am I talking about our dinner one night at a Scottish restaurant? Nope...but I will say that it was the first time I ever had an Asian waiter serve me wearing a kilt.

Am I talking about our fun day today in Sentosa? Nope...but it was fun. We took the monorail over to the island of Sentosa and toured an old English military fort that is now a museum, went to the aqarium, toured the exhibit-Images of Singapore, walked up to the top of the Merlion, and had another fun ride on the street luge. For those keeping score (okay...me) I beat Phil on the luge even after a close photo-finish. Not really, but I did feel like I got a bit close to the boards when he tried to squeeze me out at the very end. Wasn't going to happen...I raced ahead and beat him.

I am talking about my experience yesterday afternoon at Kenko, the fish spa. Yes...the fish spa. After meeting Phil and a U.S. co-worker and his wife who now live here for lunch, the co-worker's wife informed me that we were going to have an adventure. Hence...the fish spa. Yes...I was a bit apprehensive. What in the world is a fish spa? In a nutshell, you roll your pants up, sit on a bench, put your feet and legs in what looks like an aqarium and let all of these little fish come up and start biting your feet and legs. Yeah...really. Apparently these fish feed off of any dead skin they can get from you. I know...eeww. I guess my feet and legs were dry because as soon as I put my legs in the water, it looked like I had knee-high boots on that were made of little fish.

How did it feel? Um...very odd at first. I mean these fish were eating my skin! I was getting seriously skeeved out. But if I had to fork over 30 dollars for 30 minutes, my legs were staying in the water. After awhile, it felt like pins and needles. You know if you sit on your foot and then it falls asleep and you get pins and needles while you wait to get the feeling back? That's what it felt like. Did the treatment work? I'm surprised to say...yes. My feet are as smooth as a baby's behind! Who knew? Would I do it again? Not sure, but how many people can say that they've had skin-eating fish nibble on their feet and legs in Singapore? (Wow...that's a really weird sentence to write.)

Tomorrow we head over to Bintan, Indonesia. Never been there so I'm sure I'll post again.

4 comments:

wendy said...

just a few short weeks ago there was a blip on the news that there was a fish spa up in seattle. . .that got shut down. the health department felt they must do so for "health department reasons." it was run by an asian lady and she kept talking about how good your skin would feel after a treatment :)

i would have loved to have been sitting at the table when the asian man wearing the kilt came to serve you! that is so funny.

Beavis said...

Hey sis! Sounds like you have had quite a week!! That's why I do my lovely Sea Salt Scub on my feet every day in the shower!!:)..Watch that-just think of all the lovely feet those fish have fed on!LOL!I'm sure your toes look divine! Miss you and can't wait to see you...10 days!!!

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

I'm impressed with your adventuresome spirit! (or maybe it's like you said...it cost too much money to change your mind!) I think I would have had to focus on something else & not look down at my legs!

Bob and Claire said...

I read about one of those fish spas that opened up here in D.C not too long ago too--and I don't remember reading about it ever getting shut down, although it sounded . . . questionable . . . to me! Again, I am glad to have you experience these things so I don't have to! I am impressed that you left your legs in the water the whole time!