Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Ever Been Soooo Tired?

Well, that is a plane ride that I don't want to do again...as I think, "Man, I have to do that again in 2 1/2 weeks." That was brutal. For the Sydney to San Franciso leg the man (with the loud, piercing, Aussie-accented voice) who sat three over from me proceeded to talk for the first seven hours of the trip to the guy sitting next to him. Yes...seven hours. I mean, really, who has seven hours worth of material to talk about with someone you just met minutes before?! Alas...only about an hour or two of sleep.
But it did not compare to the 5 hour leg from San Francisco to Philadelphia. I'm sitting on the aisle with a man at the window mumbling to everyone coming down the aisle "Please don't sit here in the middle seat" over and over. As the flight attendant announces that this is a full flight the mumbling turns to "Please don't be big" over and over. I know...kind of rude, but you know that's what you're saying too. And of course, the largest man on the plane stops right in front of me with a jolly, "Looks like I'm in the middle." I am not amused. I'm really not amused when he moves my arm rest up so that he can fit into his seat and spill over into mine. And amusing is not what I'm thinking when even before we leave the runway for takeoff, his head is back and he's snoring very loudly with a loud snort every once in awhile for good measure. For four and a half hours of the five hour flight I'm lulled not to sleep but to homicidal thoughts of death by pillow-smothering my fellow traveller. Not my best moment, I admit.
After getting home and reuniting with Sox, (oh, so nice) I fell into my bed thinking ah...this is good. Not so good when I woke up wide awake at 2:00 am. Yes...a measly 2 hours of sleep the whole night. I picked up a bit of a cold on the way home as well, so here's to a hefty dose of some medicine that will hopefully knock me out for the next, I don't know, 8-10 hours. Please....

2 comments:

Dave Majeski said...

So I cant believe that you didnt catch on to what was happening. I kept getting the flight attendant to bring the talking guy more and more drinks. It seemed not only to get him to chat more, but he also got louder. I was enjoying watching your reaction as I watched Dan in real life on the screen 20 aisles away. I also pick the seat that guarantees the person ahead of me will put theirs all the way back until my knees crack.
So you have to tell me, on your flight to Philly, was the dude bigger than me? You should bring breathe right strips with you so when he started snoring you could put one on him and see if it helps. I am sure you were thrilled with cuddling up to him in your seat though!
I seriously hope you enjoy your time at home and have a much better flight back. Economy seats stink! Thanks again for the fun vacation and for all you and Phil did for us!

Dave

Sandra said...

Oh, this guy was much bigger than you, Dave. Glad you guys got back safely.