Sunday, March 2, 2008

Singapore...the Sequel

Well, our friends Dave and Amy arrived safely here in Australia this morning...after vowing not to step on to an airplane for awhile. (at least till their return trip to Michigan next Sunday). We're going to go out and do some exploring in a bit so I thought I'd finish up yesterday's post. On Wednesday night after Phil got back to the hotel, we took a cab to the mall where we got on a little monorail that takes you over to Sentosa. As mentioned yesterday, Sentosa is a resort island right off the coast of Singapore. After stepping off of the monorail one of the first things you see is the Merlion. The Merlion is a statue that's half lion half fish that spits out water into, the water. This is a copy of the real Merlion that is in the business district. I was expecting more..but below is the real Merlion and then the lit up copy of the Sentosa Merlion, a 37 meter statue. Not sure of the conversion to feet. I've only now just mastered the conversion from Fahrenheit to Celsius...(multiply by 9, divide by 5, and then add 32). Wouldn't it just be easier if we all just got along and did Fahrenheit together? (said the American.)

The best part of the day was riding the street luge ride. The street luge is part go-cart and part-tobaggan. I pulled out in front of Phil right away but after an "Eat my dust" taunt, he flew past me and I tried to catch up the rest of the way down. But it was not to be. After getting off at the bottom of the hill, we took the ski lift back up to the top. Phil took some nice pictures while I white-knuckled it all the way up. I am not a fan of heights, especially when dangling from a cable. Below is part of the 650 meter luge track. Good times!


Finally, after we got off of the luge we walked across the street to a little beach. Not the best picture but I know mom always likes to see pictures of us. And unfortunately, if Phil has the camera, no pictures of him. So, mom...this one's for you. Tomorrow Phil is taking the day off and all four of us are driving to the Blue Mountains, about 2 hours west of Sydney. We'll take some pictures and give you a tour.



No comments: