Sunday, September 28, 2008

Saturday O' Fun

Let me start by saying it was a busy week. I've started to volunteer several days a week in the office at our church here. On Thursday even drove home by way of Victoria Rd. Which means instead of driving home by way of the Harbour Bridge, I drove home by way of the Anzac Bridge. On the other side of Sydney. Meaning...I drove through the streets of Sydney from one to the other all by myself in Beast. I'm in the middle of the city at an intersection surrounded by skyscrapers thinking, "What in the world am I doing here behind the wheel?" Very surreal. But I made it home with no problems (if you don't count the slight balding of the sides of the tires that have continually scraped the sides of the concrete pillars in the parking garage as I make the what I would call hair-pin curves as I circle down and back up from 2 stories below ground.) Anyways, we woke up Saturday morning with the idea to enjoy the sunny, warm day. (Which is still weird when you are at the end of September and it's getting warmer.) We walked over to The Rocks and found a food market set up. Bought some bagels (finally found some in Australia!) and fresh flowers.
And look...we were serenaded by two members of the Oom-Pah-Pah band from the German restaurant, Lowenbrau around the corner (the ones in the loud red pants and the guy in the yellow shirt, who was playing a clarinet). We walked past this little French bakery that we've been told by friends from church has the most excellent pastries that you've ever had. Usually when we've walked by, it hasn't been opened (what is with the French?) but it was today and we went in, ordered a fruit tart for me and some airy puff pastry for Phil. Yummy!
We then walked over to the regular market at The Rocks. Bought a birthday present for Phil (who celebrates this Wed!) and a Christmas ornament. Over the years I've gotten in the habit of buying an ornament from every place we've ever traveled to for our Christmas tree. Lots of fun to remember where we've been, as I decorate the tree. (And yes...it's usually just me decorating the tree. Phil's job usually ends after wrestling the tree parts up the stairs from the basement and setting it up. I'm not OCD about where the ornaments go, he just doesn't like to do it.)

We then took the Manly Ferry over to well, Manly to walk next to the beach. After a quick lunch of Subway (love that meatball sub) we made our way to the beach. And man, was it ever crowded! I guess because it's school holidays here (they go year round here starting in Jan. then have 2 weeks off in March, July, and Sept. and then finish up before Christmas), and it was a nice, warm day, everyone decided to spend the day at the beach. Take a look.

And, a quick pic of the lifeguards at the beach. They always wear these red and yellow uniforms.
Later this week, I'll take you on a tour of India. Phil was there for a week before we met back up in Sydney. My favorite kind of tour...commenting on pictures that I didn't take and was not there when they were taken. Should be fun...

1 comment:

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

That sounds like a great Saturday! So beautiful! Can't wait for the India commentary:)