Wednesday, May 7, 2008

We're Supposed to Bring What??!!

First, let me just say that yes, I'm still having trouble with the Australian accent...especially over the phone. Combine that with people talking their normal speed (i.e. too fast) and sometimes I have a hard time figuring out what people are saying to me over the phone.
Last night, Phil and I decided to go over to the home of a couple from the church we've been attending who hosts a small group every Tuesday night for Bible study. I wasn't sure of the time, so I called Judy to ask her when it starts. I thought to myself (rather proudly) that I remembered reading a book on Australian culture before we arrived that said to always offer to bring something when invited over to someone's house here. So I asked, "Can we bring anything?" Judy responded, "Just a bottle."
Now...still thinking to myself as I dialed Phil to let him know the time, "Does she mean a bottle of wine? Are we supposed to bring one every Tuesday night?"
After I relayed the conversation to Phil in all seriousness on my part, I was met with silence over the phone on his part. And then Phil said (with what I sense was a bit of mirth on his part), "Ya think she might've said to bring a Bible to Bible study?" Oh. Yeah. That would make more sense, I thought sheepishly, as I replayed the conversation in my mind. But I swear it sounded like bottle with that accent. English, indeed.

1 comment:

bin said...

It was wine, wasn't it? Isn't it manners everywhere to offer to contribute in some small way to the hospitality on hand? & wouldn't you already be bringing your bible to a bible study? Remember, we are the land of the BYO, no need to clarify that its a bottle you are to bring. Glad you enjoyed The Gumnut. Lovely, isn't it.