Monday, July 14, 2008

How to Enjoy a Trip to Palm Beach

On Saturday (as you can see from previous posts, our day to hop in the jeep and explore) we decided to drive up to Palm Beach, a peninsula north of Sydney and walk to the Barrenjoey Lighthouse. So we got in the jeep and started driving north. We drove through Narrabeen, crossed over Narrabeen Lakes, made the right turn in Mona Vale, passed Newport Beach, Bilgola, and Avalon and finally got to Palm Beach. After much prodding from me, (after passing a McDonald's with my nose and hands pressed to the window) Phil decided to stop for lunch at this cafe. Why...why don't they put ice in glasses when one asks for a soda??? I'll never understand it. But I digress...a post on How to Enjoy a Trip to Palm Beach (on a full stomach).

1. If you're going to hike to the Barrenjoey Lighthouse, make sure you're in the right spot.
Nice beach...but not (yes, like I claimed it was. yes, Phil, you were right) the right one to begin the hike to the lighthouse. See that tiny little thing sticking up on the cliff to the left in the picture? About a half an inch in? Yep...that's the lighthouse.

2. Don't forget to wear sunglasses (or sunnies as they call them here) when hiking on a sunny day.

Had to borrow Phil's for the day. (yes, I am a weenie) But now we're on the right beach and headed up the sand path. Wait...found out by reading a sign posted on the beach that the sand trail is closed for refurbishing and to get to the lighthouse, one must hike up (and I mean seriously straight up) the rock path named Smuggler's Trail. Gulp.

3. Stop and enjoy the view on the way up.

The top of the beach on the left is where we were first. The beach on the right is where we parked the car. This is a long way up, I think, as I'm feverishly sucking in air.

4. Enjoy the view from the top.

Saw this bird sitting right over Phil's head while we had stopped were watching a sea plane land and couldn't resist. Great camera work, if I do say so myself.

5. Enjoy a rest after hiking back down.





2 comments:

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

So was the lighthouse worth the trip up? Great views, even if the lighthouse was disappointing!

Dave Majeski said...

I love the pic you took as you were on your way up. What a...dare I say...breath taking view??? OK that was bad, I admit it, but really, that is a great pic.