Monday, February 18, 2008

Busy Saturday

On Saturday we finally got the car that the company is leasing for us while we're down here. We dropped off our rental and picked up our Jeep Wrangler. After a long lesson on how to remove the canvas top (complete with plenty of zipper tugging and even use of a small screwdriver) we took it home. The weather looked a bit iffy...what's new, so we walked over to the Rocks. Every Saturday and Sunday from 10:00 till 5:00 an outdoor market is set up for throngs of people to walk through. Literally, throngs.
As the morning progressed it looked like it would be ok, so we went back to the garage (or car park as they're called here) to get the Jeep. Ever try to put the canvas top of a Jeep down in a low ceiling'd garage? After much driving of the car back and forth between the pipes hanging from the ceiling, we were off.

We decided to drive over to Watson's Bay to walk around and have lunch. After driving just a short bit, we both agreed we would never be contestants together on "The Amazing Race". (I know, Kelly, a dream just died.) My map reading is apparently not quick enough. I may be right on which street to turn on (and I usually am) , I'm just a bit late on telling Phil to turn.

The drive was very nice. Many people had told Phil that if he had the chance to drive through the eastern suburbs, he should because it was very nice. At first, we had to disagree. It looked nothing special until we drove a bit. Then the houses became very nice. And the views...straight out over the harbor looking at the city skyline, Harbour Bridge, and Opera House. Very nice indeed.

We parked the Jeep and walked over to Doyles on the Beach. This was Australia's first seafood restaurant and opened in 1885. (Got to love my handy guide to Sydney book.) We didn't go in the restaurant...heard it was extremely over-priced for what you got, so we went to their little seafood stand right next door. Got some fantastic fish and chips. Yes, still a bit over-priced but boy, they were good.

After lunch we drove over to the other side of Watson's Bay (it's at the tip of a peninsula) and walked along the cliffs looking out over the Pacific Ocean (actually, I think its called the Tasmanian Sea.) Very pretty, isn't it?


After walking around a bit, we jumped back in the Jeep and drove it south to take a look at Bondi Beach. It's 1/2 mile (or 1km) of white sand known for big waves so it's popular with surfers. We saved actually getting out for another day.

After returning to the apartment, we ended the day by walking over to the Rocks for dinner at our new favorite restaurant...Pancakes-On-The-Rocks. Yes...you can get a plate of fluffy buttermilk pancakes for about $8.00. Yes, you're cringing at the price back home, but a cheap meal here! Mm, Mm, Mm, very tasty. Of course you can get "real" meals or crepes if you want, but nothing says tasty like a plate of butter-slathered pancakes. (minus the syrup, of course). A good day..except for the sun burn on my face. No, mom, Karen, and Jared, I forgot to put on sunscreen. Yes, I realize that isn't good. Yes, I realize I now look like a raccoon because I was wearing my sunglasses. No, I won't forget to put it on in the future.

7 comments:

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

Yea for pancakes!...a taste of home...can you even get syrup there or do they just not serve it with pancakes? Your exploring sounds so fun!

Sandra said...

Sure they serve syrup there with pancakes,I just don't put it on my pancakes. Makes them too mushy.

Sandra said...

Phil here...

For the record, when Sandra says that she was "a little late" with telling me what road to use, that "little" was really about 5 miles....

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

Have you tried peanut butter on your pancakes?? That in combination with syrup is REALLY good. But you'll have to wait til your back in the States to try the pb, huh?

Check your yahoo...I sent an e-mail.

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

p.s. We're sorry about the disrespectful table pics...we try to leave all table nakedness off the internet... seriously, if we use the table again, we'll use the pad (where is it?)

Sandra said...

It's not really a big deal, but if you need it the pad is in the midget closet in the center hallway (in a cardboard box towards the back).

Beavis said...

Throngs? You are quite the writer!! Love it! Your pics are awesome..the views look amazing! If I remember correctly, you did leave syrup off of your waffles and pancakes at home...or used very little Aunt Jemima..that was all you would eat. Funny, Sam is the same way...prefers to "dip" in syrup...using his fingers of course. I do the same thing with Eric when we travel...I'm like, "okay turn....HERE!!" He gets so mad at me!:)Have fun in Singapore..I'm sure I will chat with you before then!!...Oh btw...did you make up that poem about the Bum Box?...very nifty product!...I guess I need to send some sunscreen out to ya, huh? LOL!
Talk with you on the w/e Love ya!
Beav