Friday, February 8, 2008

The Rocks





Yesterday and this morning I walked over to The Rocks. I had to make it a two day trip because yet again, the sky opened up yesterday afternoon and it poured. Again. If I hear one more person talk about the drought in Australia....The Rocks is "the site of the first white settlement in Australia." January 26, 1788 to be exact. (Yes, I'm copying out of my Sydney guide book again.) There are still some cobblestone streets and older looking buildings in the area.

Today there are plenty of shops, restaurants and art galleries that call The Rocks home. The first picture is a row of buildings called Campbell's Storehouses, named after Australia's first waterfront entrepeneur, Robert Campbell. He bought that land in 1799 and then 40 years later, built those buildings. Today they are restaurants. And no, nothing looked good to me from their menus. Yeah, I know, I'm too picky.

The third picture is Cadman's Cottage. It is the oldest residence in Australia (built in 1815). Tonight we're off to Olympic Park for "Music by Moonlight". Every Friday night there is a free concert in the park. Tonight is "From Broadway to the West End" Ah...musicals. Phil will be thrilled.
Finally, a big Happy 8th Birthday to Josh and Zach! I know your birthdays are on the 8th, but since it's the 8th here....Happy Birthday. Have a great party on Saturday and we wish we were there.

4 comments:

Taylor and Jessica Hagan said...

Thanks for keeping us updated on your explorations...we'll ALL be Australia experts by the time you get back!

Beavis said...

Hey sis again! Just think,your house is older than the oldest one in all of Australia!! How cool is that! I didn't know any of that info...very interesting!! Australia 101! The pics are awesome...Hopefully the rain will subside and their "drought" will continue!! It poured like crazy here...floods everywhere...Only in Ohio can it be 57 degrees one day and 6 the next...my tulips are so confused they don't know what to do! Glad to see you are enjoying the scenic routes there...can't wait to see more pics! Thinking of you daily!! Love you, Beav

Beavis said...

Hey sis again! Just think,your house is older than the oldest one in all of Australia!! How cool is that! I didn't know any of that info...very interesting!! Australia 101! The pics are awesome...Hopefully the rain will subside and their "drought" will continue!! It poured like crazy here...floods everywhere...Only in Ohio can it be 57 degrees one day and 6 the next...my tulips are so confused they don't know what to do! Glad to see you are enjoying the scenic routes there...can't wait to see more pics! Thinking of you daily!! Love you, Beav

Beavis said...

Have no idea why my comment got duplicated!! Sorry!